Citizen of Tittmoning
In 1234 the construction of the castle was vouched by Archbishop Eberhard II of Salzburg as protection against the strong Bavarian town Burghausen. The archbishop employed staff to administrate the castle, the court and the county.
Due to betrayal the town and the castle became property of Kaiser Ludwig the Bavarian in 1324 and could not be gotten back until three years later when a very high amount of 5500 Salzburg pfennigs was paid. During the following centuries extensions were made. For instance, the massive "Troadkasten" was built, and its steep, red brick roof, which was the characteristic of this particular construction, could thus be visible from afar. On the outside of the house, the strong grilles can still be seen today which were meant to protect the expensive corn of the town from possible trespassers.
Castle becomes a hunting lodge around 1615
During the salt war between Bavaria and Salzburg the castle was damaged heavily in 1611. It is presumed that Archbishop Markus Sittikus asked his master builder Santino Solari (builder of the dome in Salzburg) to reconstruct and extend the castle into a hunting lodge.
Archbishop Johann Ernst Graf von Thun had the chapel of the castle built in 1693, which features the magnificent altar picture by Johann Michael Rottmayr.
In the meanwhile the name 'palace' wasn't used anymore and the weir system has been called 'castle' again.
Tittmoning becomes a part of Bavaria
Due to the Napoleon wars Tittmoning firstly becomes part of Bavaria in 1810 and finally in 1816 for good. After 1000 years the affiliation with Salzburg came to an end.
Parts of the castle as well as surrounding properties were turned private. From 1852 onwards the castle as well as the neighboring Ponlach-rift slowly have been transferred into the town's property. After various utilizations the well-fortified building has been deteriorating.
Founding of the museum
The Historic Association moved the museum of local history from the enclosed quarters of the townhouse to the rooms of the castle that have been renovated for this purpose. The usage of the castle as a museum also secures the preservation of this ancient monument.
For the detention of prisoners of the war the museum was moved to different location in 1940. In 1953, after the war had ended, the museum was reopened and ten years later was given legal grounds as a foundation. Since 2004 there has been a tannery-exhibition in the "Getreidekastern" (corn-storage) of the castle. The name of the foundation "Heimathaus des Rupertiwinkel" was changed to "Museum Rupertiwinkel" in 2014.
Tittmoning close to Salzburg
Freizeitregion Stadt Tittmoning
For any questions we are happy to help!
1. Mayor Konrad Schupfner
City Tittmoning, Stadtplatz 1, 84529 Tittmoning, Post Office Box 11 20, 84525 Tittmoning
Tel. +49 8683 7007-0, Fax +49 8683 7007-30, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.tittmoning.de